Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Road to MAGfest 2015- September 24th

Last year, I had my heart set on cosplaying as David from Shaun of the Dead since I am a huge fan of Dylan Moran. Seeing as I have yet to find a Shaun (either no one wants to do a cosplay so simple and outdated or they have not seen the movie), my costume would be nearly unrecognizable. The reference is too old and although people remember Moran's character, they would hardly be able to spot him in a crowd of costumes.

image
Um... Gordon Freeman?

And I have not lost enough weight. I might as well go as Ed, Shaun's unsophisticated best mate. With everything that has happened this past year, Justin's suicide and losing my grandparents and my childhood cat, I have put on a good amount of weight and not been trying to deal with it. None of the cosplays I want to do involve a fat blonde girl and my Clippy cosplay is stained to hell.

image

So now I am into Yuusha Yoshihiko and have a favorite character. This is who I shall be for MAGfest.

image

Meleb is a subtle and somewhat sarcastic character who has only useless spells as a wizard. He does not even use his staff to defend himself. He is rubbish. I love it.



I follow the actor who played him, Tsuyoshi Muro, on Twitter because I am a general fan of his work. He is currently working on another show, Blue Blazes (or Aoi Honoo/Blue Flame in Japan), that is airing in Japan weekly now. After it is translated, we can download it and watch it about a week after the episode airs. I follow all of that too and I wish some of the other shows were translated. They seem like something I might want to see.

On to the costume. These are some of the things I have picked out that are as close as I have found so far:

The "robe" (it's a dress. Either that or an oriental rug)

The cloak

The shoes

The staff I can borrow from my father in law or buy possibly at the local ethnic store. I can buy the pipes on Ebay and make the amulet (it's a stylized bead and a chain, easy peasy). For any small details, I can rely on my awesome cousin who knows about making costumes.

And the hair I have. I am actually going to try to make it look like I am wearing a wig by darkening my eyebrows and sideburns. I might have to tint the natural shade of my hair a bit though, just to make it look more like Meleb's hair.

image

I think that is everything except getting my weight down. I have been practicing facial expressions and some of the smaller sayings of the show. The rest is up to fate and time.

No comments:

Post a Comment