Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Politics and Distopias

Why have I had such a hiatus with my blog? I guess I just forgot about it. We went back to our hometown last weekend for my mother and father in law's birthday. I bought him a copy of In God We Trust: All Others Pay Cash. I think he will be able to relate to it and find some humor in it. My mom wanted a gift card and that is exactly what she got. Easy peasy.

We watched The Giver. It was not terrible but I could go on and on about how it is different than the book and how the book is better. The end of the movie reflects the end of the book but makes it a completely happy ending, fun for all. That is not what happens in the book. Although people can interpret the ending two ways, Jonas and Gabriel survive or they freeze to death, I do not think that is true. Elsewhere does not exist and there would not be any civilizations close enough to know about them or they would have outsiders coming in and out whenever they liked. They might even have been conquered. That is how society works. My mother in law and I were arguing about that. She read the book once so she could watch the movie. I read it in 5th grade, hated it, picked it back up in middle school, and have not put it down since. I know what I am talking about.

Release me from my mortal body you sexy Swed!
Alexander SkarsgÄrd plays the father though, who works at the Nurturing Center and "releases" people, so he sort of like an executioner. Bad casting people, no sexy guys for death men! This is not a gothic BDSM film! Why is this sexy man always in charge of death and pointy things? What's next? Is he going to be an unmasked Pyramid Head in the next Silent Hill movie? Pretty please?


Big news: I am running for mayor of Baltimore City. Yes, I am serious. I do not think I will win, but I am trying my best. It has gotten my butt in gear for the political issues book. I wanted to write something on the federal level but it was not working out. Starting at the local level is much easier. I have a lot of great ideas and ways of making them possible. I have also asked other residents of the city what they would like in a candidate. Many of the issues important to them are part of my platform. I have a ton of issues on my platform but I have a lot I want to do. Perhaps if I put them in order of most important to back burner in the platform, it will be easier to read.

The days have gotten cooler so we turned off the air conditioner and opened a few windows. We also put the comforter on the bed for extra warmth at night. It likes to slide off the bed so I have to tuck it in some way.

Today is the first day in a few that I have felt like staying productive. I hate days like those and they are going to ruin me someday. I am trying to awake between 5:30 and 6am so I can get an early start on the day, even if I need time to wake up. Then I need to start working on my 1pm-3pm exhaustion lull.

No comments:

Post a Comment