Tuesday, September 15, 2015

He Was a She, See?

Depression had me by the cojones yesterday but I am feeling a lot better today. I have a ton to do. Aside from the errands I have to run around 9am, I am going to focus on writing this morning. A good amount of ideas came to me yesterday and I feel less overwhelmed. Here's hoping I get a lot of writing done today.

Sometimes when I wake up, I grab the laptop to get started on work or watch some videos while I sip my coffee and eat breakfast. Somehow I ended up watching videos by trans YouTubers, one of them being Julie Reads Mean Comments by PrincessJoules. Based off of Jimmy Kimmel's Celebrities Read Mean Tweets (which I love), she reads the mean things people have tweeted to her. The biggest difference is most of them are death threats about her being trans and not who she is. I do not condone mean tweets to anyone but at least the mean tweets at celebrities can be witty and reflect them as a person and not their gender identification. Here is the link. I think everyone should watch it (NSFW although she bleeps out a lot) because it gives a great look at how hateful people are toward trans people. Another important difference is people actually DO these things to trans people. They hurt them, they maim them, they kill them. Food for thought.

When I first met someone who was transgender, I was in college and the concept of her frightened me. But I never said a mean word to her. She was very huggy and I would not hug her, explaining that I had to get used to the idea and I had never met a trans person before. She understood completely. By the end of the year, we were always hugging. Just because something is new and scared of the concept does not give you the right to lash out. It is okay if you are not comfortable with something. I am not comfortable around evangelical Christians but I do not lash out at them because of their religion. I will call them out on something they said. Transgenderism is a concept that recently caught the public eye and is steadily normalizing. Our culture used to see it as something whoreish and deceitful. Like race, we need to change the misconceptions that come with gender identity.

I never realized that I had so much to say about the topic. It makes me wonder if I could write an essay about my experiences. If anything, I will try to continue with the topic in my next post. I think I have written enough for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment