Thursday, August 27, 2015

A Week in Review: Titan

We have an older neighbor who despite being a nice lady just loves to talk. I do my best to maintain eye contact and listen but it is hard knowing she will go off on a tangent and repeat information she has already said. She feeds stray cats on her porch and lets me know when there is a new lost cat so I can check them out, see if they are domestic, and if I can find them a home. A couple weeks ago, not even that, she knocked on my door and told me about a kitten wandering around her property. It was from the same house that had the black cat with no food or water. That cat's kidneys ended up failing despite this lady's best efforts. The house is supposedly one full of druggie squatters so we would have to be sneaky about taking away the cat.

I followed her up to her house but the kitten was nowhere in sight. However, it did not take long for this kitten to come over and check me out. She was quite trusting and loving to this stranger. I picked her up, carried her home, and put her in Zombie's kennel. Khaleesi was all too excited to greet our visitor, scaring her. She tried to get to the cage to send her love to the kitten. I had to put a blanket over the cage which seemed to calm the kitten down.

On the way home with her, I decided to call her Titan. My neighbor kept calling her a "he" and I did not check until later. But the name stuck so well that I could not change it. She was named after Attack on Titan. She seemed to be healthy. I just wanted to make sure she did not have any hidden sicknesses that my other animals could catch. Once she became comfortable with her surroundings, she was no happy being in her kennel, so I transferred her to the closet in the third bedroom. Sometimes we would let her out into that bedroom to run around but she had plenty of room and a small cat tree to play on in the closet.

After getting checked out at the rescue, she could get spayed that week and then she would be ready for an adoption event. That day could not come fast enough because she wanted to play with my five other cats. Roxy tried to play with her but she's 11. A kitten is a bit too rough for her. Khaleesi liked to play but it was hard for her to roll around with a tiny kitten. Titan also loved to go behind our desks where important wires hang like tasty vines. She never chewed on wires or cords but I did not want to take that chance.

The spay went great and I took her to Petsmart that weekend to show off. People took interest in her on the first day! We had a surprise adoption, so there was an open cage for Titan to stay. Most cats are terrified when they first go in their cage and stay away from the door. Titan wanted out to play with everyone and tried to stick her nose out to sniff anything that came by. People were still eyeing her as she sat in her cage. It was the first time I came home with an empty carrier.  It took about a week and a half from capture to being done fostering, the fastest foster I have ever done. Poor Khaleesi was heartbroken when her friend did not come back.

Of course I checked on her the next day and she was all over the place with the other kittens. She would even be gentle with the older cats. I think she was more happy at the rescue than here which is unheard of. Most cats act out in that environment. Titan was too busy to say hi to foster mama. Whoever adopts her is going to have a sweet and loyal pet.

No comments:

Post a Comment