Thursday, July 10, 2014

The US Named an Oligarchy


Princeton and Northwestern universities have completed a new study that reclassifies the United States as an oligarchy; the one with the most money has the most power. I was not surprised by this although I thought it would take much more time for someone to say it. Albeit the study does use public opinion to base some of its research and it gets criticism for it by some (I have yet to find a scholarly critique on the study) there are several reasons I believe this study to have merit which I hope to discuss in upcoming posts.

What I want to discuss now is when the news came, I heard very little about the results. My Facebook feed was not blown up by the study's findings. This was more than two months ago and a significant amount of people had no idea. Even if the study is not as accurate as it could be, there should still have been a big outcry from the general public. As I poll those around me, many of them either had never heard of the study or just shrugged it off.

Apathy that someone can suggest we are an oligarchy and everyone quietly agrees is inexcusable. Maybe that is how we got to be so close to the money=power country we are today. Laziness and apathy.

No comments:

Post a Comment